The Navy Affairs is one of the four technical services Departments of the Ministry of Defence. It provides administrative and support services for the Nigerian Navy to enable it train, equip and maintain a highly professional, versatile and combat ready military that would effectively exert timely response in peace and war situations, act singly or in co-operation with Armed Forces of friendly nations, for the preservation of territorial integrity of Nigeria, and in pursuit of its domestic and external interests. The Department assists in the initiation, planning and formulation of policies affecting the Nigerian Navy and thereafter, supervises monitors and evaluates their implementation. The department is divided into two divisions – Navy Logistics and Navy Hardware.
ACTIVITIES OF THE DEPARTMENT
Navy Logistics Division
The Navy Logistics Division handles matters that relate to the following:
- Navy board meetings, internal administration including staff matters.
- Nigeria Navy Finance and Budget, procurement of Simulators, Motor Vehicle, Kitting (uniform, foot wear, accoutrement, etc.).
- Barrack development,
Engineering construction, communication equipment/systems, Dockyard and
shipyard development etc – within the cost estimate of
N50million and above.
- Carries out pre – shipment inspections and processes End User certificates, import duty waivers that apply to logistics procurements.
- initiation, formulation and planning of policies affecting the Nigerian Navy, preparation of briefs, speeches, memoranda and other documentations, analyses of proposals from companies and other organizations on matters relating to the Nigerian Navy.
- Processes Ministerial Tenders Board (MTB) and Federal Executive Council (FEC) memoranda for Nigerian Navy logistics procurements.
- Performs any other duties that may be assigned by the Permanent Secretary, Director (Navy) or the management
Navy Hardware Division
The Navy Hardware Division handles matters that relate to the following:
- Procurement of Navy Hardware as provided in the mainline budget
- Inspection, monitoring and evaluation of the implementation of Nigerian Navy’s Capital (Hardware) projects such as acquisition of ships, boats, and other platform, arms and ammunition, (rifles, missiles, explosives),etc;
- Organizing pre-shipment inspections for all NN Hardware procurements and issuing Completion Certificates as provided in individualized Contract Agreements;
- Processing requests for End User Certificates (EUCs) for NN Hardware procurements from the Office of the National Security Adviser (ONSA). Exemption Certificates on ECOWAS Secretariat, and Exemption/Waivers Certificate on Import Duty, VAT and Pre-Inspection from the Ministry of Finance (As applicable) for NN Hardware Procurements.
- Processing Ministerial Tenders’ Board (MTB) and Federal Executive Council (FEC) Memoranda for NN hardware procurement;
- Processing End-User Declarations (EUDs) for NN hardware procurements for the Permanent Secretary’s endorsement;
- Endorsing signatures for the opening and funding of Letters of Credit (LCs) to the Central Bank for NN hardware procurements; and
- Performing any other duties that may be assigned by the Director (Navy), Permanent Secretary and the Management.
- The Department processed, on behalf of the Nigerian Navy, numerous End-User Certificates (EUCs),
- The Department in conjunction with the Committee to work out modalities for the decommissioning and scrapping of Nigerian Navy vessels classified as “Beyond Economic Repairs” succeeded in disposing the Nigerian Navy Vessels according to Federal Government Extant Policy on disposal of public assets. All the vessels were disposed of and proceeds from the sales were remitted to TSA of the CBN.
- The Inter-Ministerial Committee for the Implementation of the “Rome Declaration” chaired by the Director (Navy) successfully hosted the G7++ friends of the Gulf of Guinea Group in conjunction with the Italian Presidency in Lagos, Nigeria. The Department served as the secretariat of the Committee.