The Department of General Services was established by the Head of Civil Service of the federation via circular HCS/CMO/EM/243/17 dated 11th March, 2014. The role of General Services Department is the provision of services needed to enhance the operation of other Departments in the Ministry. In carrying out this role, the Department operates through two divisions, namely; General Service’s division and the Maintenance division.
A. GENERAL SERVICE DIVISION
General Services Division handles:
I. Transport Administration.
II. Utility Services ( Telephone, PABX, Electricity bills e.t.c);
III. Stores Management; and
IV. Office Allocation
V. Security Related Matters.
B. MAINTENANCE DIVISION
Its main functions include:
I. Facility Management;
II. Plant and Equipment Management;
III. General Maintenance.
FUNCTIONS/ACTIVITIES OF THE GENERAL SERVICES DIVISION
The General Services Division is in charge of providing services needed to enhance the operation of other departments in the Ministry. It performs the following functions:
• Provision of working materials to departments/units.
• Supervises transport matters, utilities i.e telephone, PABX, electricity.
• Handles matters relating to water and courier bills as well as coordinates
• Manages the store.
The General Services division is sub – divided into units as follows:
Takes delivery of vehicles procured by the Ministry and prepare same, i.e registration and documentation for use.
• Facilitates official transportation.
• Undertakes minor maintenance works and refer major repairs to reputable workshops.
At present, the unit has fifty eight (58) vehicles under its pool.
MOD STORES (FUNCTIONS AND ACTIVITIES)
- There are 9 units of the stores headed by the Chief Stores Officer as follows:
(a) Stationery Store
(b) Computer Hardware Store
(c) Computer Consumable Store
(d) Mechanical Store
(e) Furniture and Equipment Store
(f) General (Materials) Store
(g) Electrical Store
(h) MOD Clinic Store
(i) Fuel Depot Store.
THE FUNCTIONS OF THE STORE
The MOD stores are the life – wire that makes all other departments function efficiently. They prepare proposal for purchases of required materials to the appropriate authority as early as possible and expedite action on them to avoid any procurement delays, taking into consideration the timing, quality and quantity of the materials.
The Provost Coy provides security duties in MOD Ship House complex, it also provides physical security, traffic control, investigation escort and general police duties in MOD and any other task as may be authorized by appropriate superior authority.
• Provision and maintenance of internal communication in the Ministry, Installation/maintenance of cables.
- The division has been able to equip MOD with walkthrough metal detectors and security scanners.
- Proper management of staff welfare scheme buses.
- Stationery/computer consumable were purchased and periodically distributed to Various Depts., Sections and Units
- Staff buses were maintained and tyres purchased by management.
- Most of the utility vehicles have been refurbished by the present Permanent Secretary.
- Payment of DSTV subscription for one year to the office of the Honorable Minister and the office of the Permanent Secretary.
- The remodeling of both ship A & B is a major improvement on the renovation/rehabilitation of the ship house.
- Creation of car parks
- Control of Incessant Stealing in MOD.
- Effective traffic control around the MOD complex including the entrance route.
- Sustained general and physical security of the MOD complex both for men and equipment.
- Prompt payment of utility bills.
ACTIVITIES AND ACHIEVEMENTS OF ESTATE & MAINTENANCE DIVISION
The Estate and Maintenance Division is one of the two Divisions that make up the Department, including the General Service Division.
The main function of the Estate and Maintenance Division includes the followings;
a. Facility Management.
b. Plant and Equipment Management.
c. Office allocation.
d. General Maintenance
e. Design and preparation of Bill of Engineering Measurement (BEME) for the Department Capital Projects.
f. Supervision & monitoring of capital projects and maintenance contracts to enforce compliance and quality control.
The Division also liaises with other statutory bodies in charge of provision of services such as;
(i) Abuja Electricity Distribution Company.(AEDC).
(II) Federal Capital Water Board (FCTWB).
(iii) Abuja Environmental Protection Board.
iv. There are seven Sections under the Estate and Maintenance Division.
FUNCTIONS OF SECTIONS UNDER THE ESTATE & MAINTENANCE DIVISION
a. Building Routine Maintenance
(i) Repairs/ Replacement of Building components.
(ii) Domestic Plumbing works.
(iii) Minor improvements to building.
(iv) Office furnishings & Repairs
(v) Welding Works
b. Building (Technical)
(i) Supervision of capital and Maintenance works
(ii) Extension and improvement to Buildings.
(iii).. Rehabilitation and Refurbishing works
c. Civil Engineering
(i) Water works (Supply and distribution)
(ii) Environmental Sanitation
(iii) Sewage and Drainages
d. Mechanical Engineering
(i). Maintenance of Refrigeration and Air- conditioners
(i). Maintenance of plants
(ii). Kitchen Equipment
(i). Maintenance of Electrical systems (External & internal)
(ii). Operation and Maintenance of Lifts
(iv). Maintenance of LV and HV equipment and Panel
(v).. Electrical Installations.
Fire Service Section
(i). Fire Fighting and Protection
(ii). Maintenance of Fire Panels, Fire Extinguishers, Fire- hydrants, Smoke Detectors,
Alarm annunciation, break glass etc.
(i). Office Allocation including the MOD Auditorium.
(ii). General Cleaning / Janitorial Service and Land -scapping.
(iii). Environmental Management of flowers, Grasses, Lawns etc
OTHER FUNCTIONS OF THE DIVISION
PLANNING, DESIGN, AND IMPLEMENTATION OF CAPITAL PROJECTS
(a). There are some Capital Projects domiciled under the division such as the Renovation / Remodeling Ship House, the ancillary building and Civilian Personnel Units of the Ministry nationwide.
(b). The division has full complements of Technical / Professionals in various fields of building and Engineering Services.
(c) The professional undertakes the conception/ identification of the Projects, design, and preparation of Bill of Engineering Measurements, projects supervision, monitoring and evaluation.
(d) The following projects are currently being implemented under the 2018
i. Remodeling and Furnishing of the Ship House
• Status of Project: Work in progress.
ii. Renovation/ Construction of Civilian Personnel Unit, Eastern Naval Command, Calabar, Cross River State
iii. Renovation of Civilian Personnel Unit, 81 Division of Nigerian Army Bonny Camp, Victoria Island Lagos State
• Status of project: On- going
iv. Completion of Civilian Personnel Unit, Nigerian Air Force Kaduna, Kaduna State
• Status of project; Work Completed 100%
v. Renovation and Extension of Civilian Personnel Unit 22nd Armoured Brigade, Sobi Barracks Ilorin, Kwara State
• Status of Project: Work completed 100%